Hanalani fields around 40 different sports teams, from basketball and soccer to golf and water polo. Upper School athletes compete in the ILH (Interscholastic League of Honolulu), and participate in Pac-5 and WestPac teams. Elementary athletes are a part of the Lutheran School Sports League and Christian Sports League. In 2012, the boys and girls varsity basketball teams placed in the HHSSAA DII state tournament.
The mission of Hanalani athletics is to glorify God through a quality interscholastic sports program. Our desire is to provide student athletes with opportunities to develop spiritually, mentally, and physically by training students to play with character, integrity, sportsmanship, discipline and a hard work ethic. Hanalani athletes will strive to win; but more importantly, we want to glorify God with our actions during competition. Our department verse daily reminds us of that balance: “know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man which striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown: but we an incorruptible"(I Cor. 9:24-25).
Read more about the Mission, Philosophy & Goals of Hanalani Athletics.
Physical Exam for Athletes
• All student-athletes are required to have parental consent to participate with a sports team.
• All student-athletes are required to maintain a Grade Point Average (GPA) above 2.0.
• All student-athletes must not have 70 demerits or higher.
• All student-athletes must submit a valid student health physical form prior to participation. This must be completed, signed, and dated by a physician. Each student athlete must have this physical examination every year in which they are involved with sports. This form should be submitted to the athletic office before the first game of the season. Players that do not turn in physical forms on time will not be able to participate in any athletic activities until this form is turned in.
• All student-athletes participating in contact/collision sports must complete the “Impact Concussion test.” Appointments to take the Impact concussion test can be made through the athletic director.
• All student-athletes must read and sign the “Hanalani Athletic Handbook Contract” prior to participation. This form must be dated and signed by both the student-athlete and one of his/her parents/ legal guardians. This form is due on the first day of try-outs or practice.
• All athletes must be eligible according to the ILH constitution and by-laws.